1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Sad Day, Lady Thatcher dies.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mr Horsforth, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Mr Horsforth

Mr Horsforth New Member

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I agree and although I do not agree with all she did, I feel she was one great lady.
    RIP

Please keep this positive.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Brave thing to say...

5. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I suppose that depends what you think of Churchill, he wasn't universally loved either.

6. Gordon Glazebrook

Gordon Glazebrook New Member

The thing about Churchill and Thatcher was that they were both very strong leaders. Stubborn to a point but they "got the job done".
    The only time I ever agreed with Thatcher was over the Falklands and I never dared disagree with Chuirchill as he was my Colonel in Chief!

7. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Only been in Hell a few hours and already closed down half the furnaces.

8. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I don't have a proper opinion of Churchill, he was a touch before my time. I suspect he was probably the best man for the job at the time.

But my friend is just back from work and she passed several parties in the streets celebrating the news. She was not best popular in this town I think.

9. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Maybe you should try and do the job, it's a job where you can never be right.
    She did a great job and really helped with women's rights etc.

10. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I have never been as well off in my life since those heady 'Loadsa money' days.
    Old clapped out industries had to go. There were social ramifications but who would seriously want their sons to work down a pit?

The worst period was when interest rates rocketed and paying the mortgage got dodgy but without home ownership I would be struggling now.

11. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I accept that hairy loons and dole bludgers were not her favourite segment of society but it is disrespectful to celebrate her death by having street parties.
    There is so little class,or respect anymore amongst the plebs. I despair of those crass attitudes.

12. Gordon Glazebrook

Clapped out industries? You're right to a point Bewerley as they certainly needed bringing up to date. Trouble is they closed them down and now we are paying over the odds for imports!

13. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

You might like to consider the implication of the word "passed".

14. Churchill and Thatcher were the right people for the right times. Churchill was removed after he did his job so the lads who did the work and the parents of those who died could have their rewards without them floating to the top as they previously did, After everyone's sacrifice it was no longer ok to be just being left with the crumbs off the rich man's table.

Churchill would have been magnanimous in any Victory over the Miners and probably done without flying shock troops all over the country, she was smug.

Thatcher was on her way out till the Argies kicked off. Any Prime Minister would have had to have responded in a similar fashion, fair does to her she was pretty vicious. But thats easy with other peoples kids ask Blair. And I think they would have been safer down the pits.

Don't get too down she had a good innings, and I bet she wasn't cold, hungry and lonely and never had to put herself at the mercy of the NHS at the end.

I have fond memories of her, every time I open a Water Bill, Electric Bill, Gas Bill or waiting for a de-regulated bus or train or see our unemployed youth figures, I think of her.

On the good side you have to admire her for looking after her class thats what she was there to do and thats exactly what she did. I only hope that we now don't get a 'war' with her supporters trying to stick statues up everywhere, and the anti's pulling them down. Let her rest in peace after we have had the pomp and ceremony, at Nelson's (our greatest hero's) resting place.

15. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Of course she wasn't cold and hungry and lonely. Why would she be? She educated herself and worked her way to a position where she would never need welfare and that sort of pitiful comparison..
    All that class war stuff is hogwash and the language of deadbeat losers.

16. Gordon Glazebrook

Good point Bewerley - educate yourself and work! An awful lot of people could take that advice!

17. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

Every day would be a sad day then Mr Horsforth as people die every day. I don't feel any sadness today on the passing of Margaret Thatcher! Take from that what you like

18. The grocers shop was also a Post Office a license to print money in those days so there will have been a big leg up with the education, and as now Oxford breeds the upper class and Bullingdon Bullies.

So I take it from that then that working in a coal mine is not work then?

And everyone who dies cold hungry and lonely are lazy scroungers and dead beat losers that deserve everything they get?

Just released that she died in the Ritz Hotel how symbolic pampered and a million miles from reality just like the rest.

19. Derc

Derc New Member

Definitely a sad day, for the loss of a positive woman who did it her way. Scargill and communism dug their own holes.

20. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Just released that she died in the Ritz Hotel how symbolic pampered and a million miles from reality just like the rest.

I suppose you would have preferred had it have been the Grand Hotel Brighton in 1982?

21. Yes that would have been helpful. It would have been easier to see the idolatry if she had actually been on the front line rather than sat on her 'teacake' in London directing other peoples kids to save her fading career. However she still did not realise she was under attack, in her suite in Brighton after a 6 course dinner till the balcony fell off.