1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Happy Birthday to Her Majesty.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by LS resident, Apr 21, 2015.

1. LS resident

LS resident Member

Just to wish our Monarch a happy 89th, not bad going for someone who served in the home front during the war, and is still fulfilling a busy public service to this day. She's been the back bone of our Royal Family, national culture and instution for a long period of history now, and long may she continue!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

mm shes had a hard life.

The monarchy means nothing to me and in this day and age it is a complete anachronism that should have been ended a long time ago....1641 was an opotunity missed and Mr Cromwell let the side down by not preparing his son for power rather better than he did. The suspension of parliament during Cromwells protectorate is an interesting subject in itself but for the purposes of this argument.....and I am sure there will be one....I think 1641 should have seen the end of it.

4. jar ed

jar ed Member

Cromwell turned out to be as bad a tyrant as Charles the First was. Worse still was that some of the harsher laws he passed were religiously inspired. No drinking, singing or Maypole dancing on Sundays was one :icon_lol:

5. David L

David L Registered User

Sorry to disagree, and this being only my 2nd post, but personally I think she should be hung for treason.......along with the rest of the sponging royal family and government. :icon_twisted:

6. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Not before the general election, she is the one to open Parliament, will she pick Cameron and Nigel/Nick/Nicola; or Ed and Nigel/Nick/Nicola?

7. David L

David L Registered User

Whoever is chosen to "represent the people" it wont be down to the people who decide, whoever thinks we have a choice is greatly mistaken......The UK is a company, and only the Managing Director changes, the NWO marches on.

8. Benggo

Benggo New Member

Get rid of Royalty tomorrow,they shoud be neutered and the line would end eventually.
    Any one who wants royalty can pay for 'em,a luxury we can't afford;an hard days work would kill the lot of 'em.

9. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

If this news report from last year is to be believed, the Royal Family cost the taxpayer around 56p each. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rises-twice-as-fast-as-inflation-9563293.html

I mean what is 56p? I spent more than that on some shortbread from a vending machine this morning.

But I guess that money could also be spent on better things. I don't know, I guess I am undecided on how I feel about them.

10. David L

David L Registered User

11. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

Hi Stardust. They often trip out that argument. Its to do with the estimate of money they allegedly bring into the country. Well....lets consider that.

Tourists come to see the buildings and occasionaly the Lifeguards or the blues and royals, maybe the changing of the guard and the buildings. That would not change at all. In fact nothing would change. The royal buildings would be taken back into public ownership (actually own them now dont we) and all of the income derived from the buildings and estates would go to the exchequer.

The truth is the country would be very much better off as a republic....but the seizure of royal buildings and estates would have to be harsh and complete..When the present queen passes away would be a good time to do it.

12. buck

buck Member

I have lived my life as a British subject, a citizen of the Dominion of Canada, and a citizen of the United States of America. As a Briton I served in the Royal Navy on Her Majesty's Ships and was underpaid on her behalf. Since I spent all my Canadian years in Quebec, Royalty was a sore subject among my neighbors. I have lived in the US since 1977 and a citizen since 1985. If you think living in a Republic is cheap forget it. If you think every politician is pure through and through forget that also. As you can probably guess I am no royalist, but when she flies she probably goes in a British Airways 777 up front. Our president gets a personal 747 all of his own with another one ready just in case. The pay isn't that great as compared with say Bill Gates, but the perks are good. However, we only have him for at most eight years. Then we find another man or woman of the people who can wish up a couple of billion dollars it takes to get elected. If you don't want Willie send him here, he has a nice looking wife.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  13. jar ed

jar ed Member

Yeah I can see a lot of sense in having several regiments of guards guarding empty palaces. Maybe a riderless horse at the Trooping of the Color would also be a sensible idea. Nothing would change :icon_lol:

In Paris their splendid, architecturally beautiful public buildings are guarded by riot police armed with machine pistols

14. jar ed

jar ed Member

Like wise we could happily send some our 2016 Presidential hopefuls over to the UK.

I can think of a couple, Ted Cruz and Scott Walker

Even if the UK ever did have a President there'd still be a lot of complaining if he/she was Conservative/Tory orientated. God knows they complain enough about Presidents over here.

Give the Royals credit. At least they play no part in elections nor actively participate in national politics. As ambassadors and emissaries there are very few if any heads of foreign states who dislike or feel any sense of hostility towards them. It seems if the news is to be believed that people fall over themselves to see them wherever they go... even in America

15. jar ed

jar ed Member

Why? Has she been actively aiding and abetting ISIS or Al Qaeda?:crazy:

16. David L

David L Registered User

Quite possible , who knows .......one thing for sure, you wont be privy to such information either way, Being complicit in Uk child sex abuse cover ups is more along the lines I was thinking of, along with her gang she calls Government.....

You might be best doing your own research on ISIS ya plum..........

17. jar ed

jar ed Member

Obviously a wild eyed anarchist by any other name :biggrin:

I don't believe they hang 89 year old women in North Korea even. One thing's for sure, I'd never want to live in any stinking republic you would dream up. A big drone loaded with a couple of tonnes of high explosive would be about the best cure for your kind of government :biggrin:

18. David L

David L Registered User

Wild eyed Anarchist, why because someone has a different opinion to you, because you and people like you would rather bury their heads in the sand and tell themselves "everything is ok" the "Government and the Royals love us, and wouldn't hurt us"

I think you and your sort should get yourself out of the bubble you are living in, or rather get your head out of your a**e and see what`s really happening, because of mugs like you they get away with their crimes.........idiot.

19. jar ed

jar ed Member

Yeah watch out for the men in sunglasses and leather jackets, They're from the Gov'mint and they're coming to get you, paranoid idiot

20. David L

David L Registered User

Wow how original, your showing your total lack of anything what`s going on in the world......watch your news, read your news papers and listen to your president, work, pay, die and be a slave all your life.

clown.....

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  21. LS resident

LS resident Member

Wow, you're an offensive little so and so.

I think it's safe to say your extremist and offensive views are in a very extreme minority!