1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Bradford Food

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Nov 27, 2014.

1. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Ey up.

Things are starting to pick up a bit in Bradford, & optmism is in the air.

However, in the sake of balance I'm wondering what people from out of the area think.

Other than for a curry, is there anywhere you'd come to have a meal? Are any of our places 'as good' (subjective I know) as yours?

Any ace or rubbish experiences?

Ta.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. LancashireLad

LancashireLad New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Salvation
    No and No! Some decent places for a bevvy now but nowhere at all worth eating in the centre.

4. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I'm yet to have a decent curry in Bradford. It seems like quantity over quality there and they seem to wrap that competition up year after year with corny gimmicks like 'worlds biggest bhaji' and basically putting an inordinate amount of council backing and time into it compared to anyone else because it's the one thing that Bradford can brag about.

...Not that I'm bitter about it ha. Can you actually get a Bengali meal there? If you can please can someone tell me where?

I don't think I've ever eaten any other food in Bradford other than curry...Even the one time in Saltaire which isn't even technically Bradford I went to a restaurant which wasn't a curryhouse, and had a curry.

5. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    According to my mate, most of the curry places over here are Punjabi in origin.

I get what you mean about the Capital Of Curry thing - it seems to be a confusing mix of restaurants coming together amongst other uncertain factors - but I would argue, after dedicating myself to a few months' "research", that there are plenty of places to get a very good curry.

I can't think of anywhere that's been heavy handed in portion size, either, & I find massive platefuls really off-putting.

Tried the International? Shimla's?

Plenty of places needing a lick of paint though.

6. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    Kashmir is my favourite.

Really not a fan of Omar Khans.

I like Karachi too, but Kashmir definitely my No1.

Isn't there a new bar opening that sells good beer, pork products and vinyl? Down from Sparrow?

7. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Yep: The Record Cafe. Been in a couple of times & it should make a welcome addition to drinking options. Friends of Ham-lite in terms of scran.

That street, Manor Row, has a couple more things in the offing & is the basis of the growing optimism.

Between the Kashmir & Karachi I think your fave is the one that's aged the most gracefully. They're both dated (& that's being kind) but standards seem to have been maintained.

In comparison, Omar Khan's is rubbish but they do booze & have a signed photo of Ainsley Harriot.

8. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    I like traditional curry cafes. Hence loving Kashmir. I am not a fan of curry places covering in chrome and shit ott decorations. it looks and feels really tacky and unauthentic, Old fashioned ones with formica tables, sitar music and plastic trees for me. The lack of alcohol isn't an issue, I am quite happy with a jug of Lassi. And of course, you can always bring your own which makes it dirt cheap.

We've been on a 'curry odyssey' to all the renowned curry places in Bradford, and Kashmir came out top. I know everyone has their favourites and it causes much argument!

Might check out the record place over Christmas, might pick up some good presents!

9. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Sorry to add to the curry talk, but I enjoyed Sweet Centre when I went a few months ago. Don't order the mixed starter to yourself though, it's fucking huge!

10. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I think curries are a bit like fish'n'chips - you tend to stick with your local style and taste. So, to me, the Bradford curry is the be-all and end-all of a good curry in the UK, just as West Yorks fish'n'chips are the best. Could see the argument for the West Midlands, but nowhere else have I eaten a curry which comes close to Bradford's best. But I'm local, parochial, biased I guess. I really don't venture into town to eat very much at all, but the Persian gaff on Westgate is one place we head to a lot - Zafar or something similar?

11. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I would love to rain on Benny's parade, however a couple of months ago I was on a work booze-up in Stourbridge (near Birmingham) and had one of the best curries I've ever eaten.

Lived in Saltaire for a year and never found a decent curry house there, I've had a couple of downright bad ones round Undercliffe way. I always liked Mumtaz, nice and brown, no bright orange food-colouring.

12. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Saltaire's an interesting one. Handsome place, worthy of a quality restaurant, but can't think of one whatsoever.

We travel to places specifically to try a particular restaurant. Granted that's our interest but I do think the food offer (rubbish terminology) is a draw to a city.

13. ohgee

ohgee New Member

The Aagrah is a spit away and pretty good in my book. Bit more expensive, but it doesn't break the bank. The wife's up there tonight whilst I mind the bairn. And the Shimla is hardly a million miles away. I don't like that place up on Bradford Road much, but a lot of folk rave about it, and that's walking distance too.

14. Jon_

Jon_ New Member

Speaking of Saltaire, there's a new 'pay what you feel' cafe opening up any day now (Saltaire Canteen). Might be a bit right-on but they're using up food that would otherwise go to waste and feeding people.

15. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Is it linked to the one in Armley? Went there the other week and the food was very good.

16. bongobenny

My dad lived in Stourbridge until recently (he's moved to Kiddy) so I half grew up there, and half Wombourne which is just up the A449 about 10 minutes drive so you're in proper Benny country there...

Were you actually in Stourbridge or in Lye? Lye is literally the curry capital of the Black Country. There's an entire street of tandoori's and all of them are amazing. The Spice of Lyefe is absolutely mind blowingly good.

17. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

No I was actually in Stourbridge but I drove through Lye, I've been promised a trip there next time!

18. bongobenny

Definitely worth it. Stourbridge is quite good, it's gone really chavvy in the past 15 years or so though. When I first started going out it was all rock pubs.

19. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    I remember going to watch a support band at Rock Cafe 2000. The place was dead and we were the only two people there. We left the main band playing to an empty room and the girl behind the bar.

20. Jon_

Jon_ New Member

No idea. I think it might be a Christian charity thing. Fingers crossed that it's good as it's practically next-door to me.

Here's an article:
    http://www.westyorkshiredales.anglican. ... -announced

21. Jon_

Jon_ New Member

***double post***